Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Why I'm Here

For as long as I can remember, I've been a huge foodie, and almost as much of a word nerd. I love to experiment with cooking and (especially) eating new foods, and I spend a lot of time thinking and talking about what I eat, or want to eat anyway. My mom is a pretty amazing cook, and I've been her little sous-chef since I was a pudgy elementary schooler, helping her make dishes from all different countries. We never made very much Asian food though, so when my high school friends introduced me to sushi and pho and curry.... oh boy! It sparked a whole new curiosity to explore the culinary world.

As far as languages, I can only speak one fluently, but I'm really passionate about mastering more, especially Portuguese and Japanese. Before I came to Stanford, I had intended to major in Linguistics or Communication to become a speech pathologist, because I'm extremely interested in the roles that sounds and  words play in human life. This class seems like a perfect intersection of my two passions, and I'm excited to see where it takes us.

No comments:

Post a Comment